Tuesday, March 24, 2009

We can not build what we WANT to build



We can not build what we want to build, we can not produce what we want to produce, we can not do what we want to do -- we need to do what our customers want! Just a nugget from listening to Dan McQuiston on a dreary Tuesday morning in Bloomington. Dan is teaching marketing and he just used the example of Coke and New Coke. New Coke was a bust because they didn't ask their consumer -- wow! I'm learning so much.

Yesterday I listed to Andrea Moore and her partner Jeremy talk about the rules and regulations related to HR and as many HR classes as I've sat in, I learned.


The best part though are the people. I'm learning so much from our class mates. We had major technology problems yesterday and classmates jumped in to fix it. And if someone has computer problems, there are others to help.

We have great stories here too. And different perspectives. I had one student come up yesterday after our first speaker's presentation. Our speaker made a statement about doing benefit auctions for free -- this student was a benefit auctioneer and told me he was going to start selling real estate for free! He won't but his point hit home with me in a way that none other had! By golly, I think I'm finally figuring this out.
The only problem we have -- it gets cold in our classroom -- it gets hot. It gets cold in our classroom, it gets hot and so on and so on and so on!

Last night we had dinner with the faculty and with some of the Trustees and Board members. These folks are so committed to NAA and to CAI. That's what I love about association management -- you really do meet people who are passionate about their profession.
I'm closing now, because I want to hear Dan talk about price!

No comments:

Post a Comment